Sunday, September 4, 2011

Inky Fingers Minifest

During August, I did my first public reading from my novel Trackman. I read as part of the Inky Fingers Minifest which ran from the 8th – 13th August. Inky Fingers are from Edinburgh and focus on words and performance. They run a writers’ group as well as a monthly open mic night.
Despite being terrified, reading aloud is something I’m going to have to get used to if I want to be a writer, so I signed up for one of the five minute open mic slots at the Forest Cafe. I didn’t tell any of my friends in case I ballsed it up, as I figured it was easier reading to a bunch of people I didn’t know.
I chose an extract from quite near the end of the novel and then did a reading edit, cutting bits out which wouldn’t make sense to people hearing it for the first time and removing bits which work on the page but not so much being read aloud. My novel is about music and memories and is essentially about the healing power of music. It’s from the point of view of Davie and I’ve tried to show how his brain makes associations with people, places and pieces of music. A reading edit was required therefore, as Davie’s thoughts jump around in the text as his present makes associations with his past.
Once I’d chosen a bit, I timed myself reading it out to make sure I was within the five minute time slot. Then I just kept practising it aloud, over and over, so that I was comfortable with the piece.
I prepared myself for the expected dry mouth (bottle of water) and shaky hands (paper clipped to a hard piece of card to grip onto) but I wasn’t expecting the shaky leg syndrome which attacked me. As I read my left leg just wouldn’t stay still. I think this resulted in some jigging from leg to leg but thankfully I’d worn flares rather than skinny jeans. I was grateful to Nicola Morgan for her reassuring words on twitter once I’d revealed my surprise shock at the shaky leg syndrome. Apparently it happens to the most experienced writers out there.
I think the reading went okay for my first outing of Trackman. I felt a great sense of relief and excitement once I’d finished and was really glad that I’d done it. I’ve learnt from it and hopefully will take that onto the next reading. I even got a mention on the Inky Fingers blog which was cool.
One important and quite sad thing to report is that my reading may have been my first and last at the Forest Café at its Bristo Square venue. Due to some nonsensical decisions, the Forest Café has been asked to leave the premises there. There is currently a campaign to save it which I hope you will support.

No comments: