Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Dog Woes and the Perils of Gumtree

Allan and I want a dog, and this weekend we almost got one. We contacted a girl on Gumtree who was selling her dog and went to see him on Sunday evening. Everything seemed perfect. The kind of dog we've been looking for. Young, medium size, playful, mongrel - a bit cautious of men but the girl assured us that he was fine once he got used to strangers. The girl seemed genuine and honest, she even admitted that the reason she was getting rid of her dog was because she was only 19, and didn't think she was mature enough to handle the responsibility. She offered him to us for £40 there and then, so we said yes but asked to come back in a couple of days to collect him.
Neither of us wanted to get our hopes up, and I think deep down we both knew it was too good to be true. Instead of preparing ourselves for our new arrival, the most we did was pick up an Asda leaflet on pet insurance. We didn't even tell anyone what was happening. I really liked the dog, but somehow I couldn't visualise him coming home with us. To paraphrase Star Wars, I had a bad feeling about it.
I texted the girl twice on Monday to arrange the pick-up but she didn't reply. She'd been really quick to respond before so I thought this was a bit strange. Then when I woke on Tuesday morning and switched my phone on, there was a text from someone claiming to be her boyfriend. He said that she had put the dog for sale in order to get back at him, and he wasn't very happy with her. I was disappointed but I wasn't shocked. Somehow, I knew something like this was coming. I was pissed off that we'd been messed about but I was more sad for that poor dog. For a split second I actually contemplated phoning the SSPCA, but that would probably just distress the dog more than anyone. The dog could do with his nails clipped and his eyes bathed, but he seemed a happy, healthy dog and it would be a shame to upset him.
I sent both the girl and her 'boyfriend' texts, which were civil but pissed off. I told them that I didn't appreciate being messed around, and that this obviously proved that neither of them were mature enough to take care of a dog and their dog deserved better.
I don't even really know if I believe the story we've been given, but I keep thinking what if we'd taken the dog on Sunday? Would the boyfriend have demanded him back? That would have been really confusing for the dog and we would have been even more disappointed if we'd taken him home then had to give him away. And what sort of girl sells her boyfriend's dog without telling him? What did he do that warranted that? And what will become of her now? And the dog? I hope he'll be okay. The scary thing was that the girl seemed so genuine. We were totally taken in by her. Looking back there were a few things that were a bit odd, but these are things you only recognise with hindsight.
Getting a dog is harder than I thought it would be. Allan and I would love a dog and we would give one a home for life, yet idiots like those two get to keep a dog and we can't seem to find one. Sigh.
The search for Catriona and Allan's dog continues...

2 comments:

Cailean McLean said...

Dogs trust all the way! Gumtree is great but as you say it is so hard to know if the seller is legitimate.
Have a visit to the West calder dogs trust. They're great!

Farrago said...

You could try the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home (out near Ocean Terminal). I was there the other day for work and there was a goregous collie cross. He was white with cream patches and a total sweetie but not too keen on men. I'm not sure if he was up for rehoming though.
http://www.edch.org.uk/index.php/rehoming/our_dogs/