Sunday, March 27, 2011

Northwords Now

I'm excited to say that I have just had a short story published in the magazine 'Northwords Now.' The magazine is a free literary magazine that you can view online or pick up a copy of at various places throughout Scotland (see page 23 of the online version for places to find a hard copy).
I sent my story, Schrödinger’s Cat, off in October then found out just after Christmas that it had been chosen for selection. I have been waiting for the magazine to come out before telling people, just in case I jinxed it!
I started writing the story ages ago, but didn't really know what to do with it. The original version was almost all dialogue and it seemed to be missing something. I toyed with the idea of turning it into a radio play or something but never got round to doing it. Then, during my MA, I began to look more closely at the issue of dialect. My tutor asked me to try writing something in dialect, in the way that Irvine Welsh or Anne Donovan writes. It turned out that dialect was the missing element that Schrödinger’s Cat needed, and I was amazed at how the original story came to life by just making that change. My main character suddenly seemed to find a personality and a voice.
Anyway, if you want to read it, you can do so online here (page 15): Schrödinger’s Cat.
Or you can try and pick up a hard copy.
Hope you enjoy it!

No comments: